Classic Shell was a free and open-source software that allowed users to add a classic Start menu, Explorer toolbar, and other classic Windows features to newer versions of Microsoft Windows. It was designed to replicate the look and feel of older Windows operating systems, such as Windows XP or Windows 7, for users who preferred the traditional user interface over the newer Start menu introduced in Windows 8 and later versions.
The main features of Classic Shell
- Classic Start Menu: It provided a customizable Start menu similar to the one found in older versions of Windows. Users could access programs, settings, and documents through a hierarchical menu.
- Explorer Toolbar: Classic Shell added a toolbar with customizable buttons in Windows Explorer, making it easier to perform common file operations.
- Skin and Theme Support: The software offered various skins and themes, allowing users to customize the appearance of the Start menu and other elements.
- Start Button Customization: Users could replace the default Start button with a custom image of their choice.
- Windows Explorer Enhancements: Classic Shell provided additional features to Windows Explorer, such as improved navigation and additional menu options.